Many individuals have a fear of dental procedures, so much so, that many will forego getting dental treatment due to the anxiety of making a dental appointment. This is not something you should feel ashamed about as many fear visiting the dentist. For those who tense up at the thought of going to a dentist, there is sedation dentistry, which can be used for all types of dental procedures.
What Is Sedation Dentistry Exactly?
It is a form of dentistry that uses medication to help patients relax during their appointment. There are several levels of sedation that can be used and while sedation dentistry is commonly referred to as “sleep dentistry” most patients are actually awake. The only exception to this are those who are under general anesthesia for their treatment. Sedation levels include:
- Minimal Sedation: this relaxes you but keeps you completely awake.
- Moderate Sedation: otherwise known as conscious sedation, this is when you can speak and are awake, but generally will not remember the procedure taking place.
- Deep Sedation: you are on the edge of consciousness but can still be awakened.
- General Anesthesia: you are completely unconscious when under general anesthesia.
Sedation can be administered through nitrous oxide, through oral sedatives, or through intravenous sedatives (needles).
Who Should Consider Getting Sedation Dentistry?
Those who fit under the following should consider sedation dentistry as it can get you through numerous types of dental work like tooth extractions, and root canals.
- Anyone who has phobias with dental procedures.
- Anyone who has had bad experiences with dental work.
- Anyone who has sensitive oral nerves.
- Anyone who has a small mouth that becomes sore during dental work.
- Those who have general anxiety disorders.
- Anyone with a severe gag reflux.
Since there are different types of sedation techniques used, it is important to note if you have issues with needles, being vulnerable in the chair, or if you fear pain. Depending on what your answers are to these, this may point you towards one type of sedation over another.
Why Choose Tampa Palms Dentistry Over Other Dental Practices in Your Area?
Here at Tampa Palms Dentistry, we believe in getting to know you and in building up a professional relationship with you so that we understand what your dental needs are. Our dental practice chooses to use a patient-centered approach, focusing on concierge dentistry, meaning we provide you with the results you want without focusing on profits or upsells. Our job is to help fix the problem while taking into account your likes and dislikes; with sedation that means helping you through your anxieties so you can get the dental care you need.
If you have any questions regarding sedation dentistry or think you may be a good candidate for sedation dentistry, call us today at (813) 333-1922 to schedule an appointment.